Current Czars Courtesy of Glenn Beck
List of Obama's Czars
August 21, 2009 - 5:26 ET
As of July 20, 2009:
• The Brainroom counts 32 czars in the Obama administration, based on media reports from reputable sources that have identified the official in question as a czar.
NOTE: positions that also existed under previous administrations are indicated with an *.
1. Afghanistan Czar - Richard Holbrooke
• Will work with CENTCOM head Gen. David Petraeus to integrate U.S. civilian and military efforts in the region.
2. AIDS Czar * - Jeffrey Crowley
• Coordinates HIV/AIDS policy domestically and internationally.
3. Auto Recovery Czar - Ed Montgomery
• Will work to leverage government resources to support the workers, communities and regions that rely on the American auto industry.
4. Border Czar * - Alan Bersin
Title: Assistant Secretary for International Affairs and Special Representative for Border Affairs
• Will coordinate all of the department's border security and law-enforcement efforts.
5. California Water Czar - David J. Hayes
• Charged with coordinating federal agencies to ease California's water shortage
6. Car Czar - Ron Bloom
• A leader of the White House task force overseeing auto company bailouts; worked on restructuring of General Motors and Chrysler LLC.
7. Central Region Czar - Dennis Ross
• Spent 12 years in the George H.W. Bush and Clinton administrations trying to create a permanent agreement between the governments of Israel and the Palestinian territories
8. Climate Czar - Todd Stern
• Responsible for developing international approaches to reduce the emission of greenhouse gases.
9. Domestic Violence Czar - Lynn Rosenthal
• Will advise the President and Vice President on domestic violence and sexual assault issues.
10. Drug Czar * - Gil Kerlikowske
• Directs drug-control policy in the U.S.; is expected to shift drug policy to intervention, treatment and a reduction of problem drug use.
11. Economic Czar * - Paul Volcker
• Charged with offering independent, nonpartisan information, analysis, and advice to the President as he formulates and implements his plans for economic recovery.
12. Energy and Environment Czar - Carol Browner
• Coordinates energy and climate policy, emphasizing regulation and conservation.
13. Faith-Based Czar * - Joshua DuBois
• Acts as a liaison between faith and secular community groups and the White House, often partnering with them to tackle social issues. Helps these groups apply for federal grants available to them.
14. Government Performance Czar - Jeffrey Zients
• Charged with cutting costs and finding best practices throughout government.
15. Great Lakes Czar - Cameron Davis
Title: Special advisor to the U.S. EPA overseeing its Great Lakes restoration plan
• Oversees the administration's initiative to restore the Great Lakes' environment.
16. Green Jobs Czar - Van Jones
Title: Special Adviser for Green Jobs, Enterprise and Innovation at the White House Council on Environmental Quality
• Will focus on environmentally-friendly employment within the administration and boost support for the idea nationwide
17. Guantanamo Closure Czar - Daniel Fried
• Works to get help of foreign governments in moving toward closure of Guantanamo Bay, in fulfillment of Obama's promise to close the prison within a year of taking office.
18. Health Czar * - Nancy-Ann DeParle
Title: Counselor to the President and Director of the White House Office of Health Reform
• Coordinates the development of the Administration's healthcare policy agenda.
19. Information Czar - Vivek Kundra
• Basically in charge of overseeing other federal agency CIOs and for setting technology policy across the government.
20. Intelligence Czar * - Dennis Blair
• Nation’s top intelligence official.
21. Mideast Peace Czar - George Mitchell
• Works to maintain the shaky peace between Israel and Hamas after recent hostilities
22. Pay Czar - Kenneth R. Feinberg
• Named to examine compensation practices at companies that have been bailed out more than once by the federal government
23. Regulatory Czar - Cass R. Sunstein *
• Will be responsible for reviewing draft regulations and assessing their costs and benefits
24. Science Czar - John Holdren
• Top adviser to Obama on science and technology, issues that are increasingly relevant to other issues such as homeland security, energy and environmentalism
25. Stimulus Accountability Czar - Earl Devaney
• Leads oversight board that monitors money spent by the stimulus package
26. Sudan Czar - J. Scott Gration
• Will coordinate U.S. role in the aftermath of the genocide in Darfur
27. TARP Czar - Herb Allison
• Leads the government's $700 billion financial rescue program in the office of financial stability
28. Technology Czar - Aneesh Chopra
• Will lead in the effort to eliminate wasteful government programs
29. Terrorism Czar - John Brennan
• Under Obama's plan the homeland security adviser’s office would be eliminated, and the National Security Council would take over those duties. Brennan would be responsible for guarding against natural disasters and terrorism.
30. Urban Affairs Czar - Adolfo Carrion Jr.
• Job entails coordinating transportation and housing initiatives, as well as serving as a conduit for federal aid to economically hard-hit cities.
31. Weapons Czar - Ashton Carter
• Will coordinate the Pentagon's acquisitions, technology and logistics for weapons.
32. WMD Policy Czar - Gary Samore
• Will coordinate issues related to weapons of mass destruction across the government. His portfolio includes proliferation, nuclear and conventional arms control, threat reduction, and terrorism involving weapons of mass destruction.