The following from CapeCodOnLine
Westover Air Reserve Base in Chicopee is the other option, he said during a press conference on Friday. Only one location will be used, and it's possible the federal government will take neither.
For opponents of the idea, however, there are concerns about the affect on local communities and the policies they say led to the influx of young immigrants. Although state and federal officials have said that the young immigrants would be kept on the base, many people have raised questions about the potential impact on local schools, health and other services.
Carrying signs with declarations that included “Don't Tread on Me,” “Freedom is Not Free,” “No Way Jose” and “Coming to Your Child's School TB Lice Scabies” about 20 protesters spent most of the day Sunday waving to passing traffic at the rotary and eliciting honks in support as well as thumbs down from some passing motorists, including a police officer. There appeared to be far more support among drivers for the protesters than disagreement with them.
- 400-foot flagpole weighs approximately 420,000 pounds
- There are two versions of the 60- by 120-foot flag:- 220 pound flag is flown during normal conditions- 350 pound flag is flown during harsher weather
- Each star is 3 feet high and each stripe is 4 1/2 feet wide
- 680 cubic yards of concrete used in foundation
- Over 500 gallons of paint cover the pole
- 11-foot diameter at base tapers to 5 1/2-foot diameter at top
- Three pendulum-style tuned mass dampers reduce movement and vibration
- Designed to withstand a low temperature of -42°F