Saturday, January 19, 2008

Good-bye Ole Friend


It’s raining here in Alabama today…both outside and inside. The drops from the skies are also dripping from our eyes. We lost a close friend today but maybe that was for the good…he was in pain, but pain no more…

He was a good ole boy…and he gave us much joy. I remember the day just a little over eight years ago (October 29, 1999) as if it were today, the day before he was scheduled to go…to go were I’m sure he did not want to…the humane place was overcrowded that day and he was happy to see us break that scheduled event.

He thanked us in so many ways. We had much fun frolicking around the farm in Norton and the carefree jaunts along the Atlantic beach. Oh, and those car rides, they were great, we even saw a rainbow together…over the falls of one the locks along the New York canals. Then there were the trips to Florida and everywhere in between. Yes, it is a long way from Sterling, Massachusetts the home of his would-be grave. Ah and yes again, that’s where he got his name, Stirling…don’t worry about the spelling, we thought the Scottish version was more appropriate.

We had our last words together as he looked at us with those big brown eyes, but he knew and we knew that it was time to go…he was rescheduled for that broken appointment of eight years ago…today, January 19, 2008. Good-bye ole friend…we miss you dearly.

__________________________
ps: To Jeannie Hebert
Thank you very much for introducing us to Stirling...
Stirling thanks you too...
________________________________________
We are here for only a mini-second in the sands of time. Then we become the dust that makes the sand; and the Hand of God molds us anew. Take care my friend and may God Bless... N. Hooben
________________________

The Last Battle
If it should be that I grow frail and weak,
And pain should keep me from my sleep,
Then you will do what must be done,
For this--the last battle--can't be won.
You will be sad I understand,
But don't let grief stay your hand,
For on this day, more than rest,
Your love and friendship must stand the test.
We have had so many happy years,
And they are reflected in your tears.
You wouldn't want me to suffer so,
When the time comes, please let me go.
Take me to where to my needs they'll tend
Only stay with me till the end.
And hold me firm and speak to me,
Until me eyes no longer see.
I know in time you will agree,
It is a kindness you do for me.
Although my tail its last has waved,
From pain and suffering I have been saved.
Don't grieve that it must be you,
Who has to decide this thing to do...
We've been so close - we two - these years,
Don't let your heart hold any tears.
- Unknown-
Edited Revision By N. Hooben
_________

 
Thursday, January 24, 2008 3:19 PM
We're having a bad week here in Alabama...it's raining here today; outside and inside...again!
Bandit was a stray that showed up on our farm in Norton, Massachusetts some years ago...we took him in and as we loved him, he loved us.


We never knew just how old he was but as he aged, so did his health. He passed away today...not in so much pain...for he succumbed while under anesthesia at the veterinary hospital...they did what they could and then they called...as I said, "We are having a bad week here in Alabama." Just last Saturday we lost our friend Stirling...and now we have just two, Julius and Peanut, both felines...oh and lets not forget Penny, an equine also rescued...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Norm, thanks for sharing this. You can guess how many of us have been there. (They handed me a box of Kleenex and I used up pretty much the whole thing.) My thoughts are with you and your family right now. I actually do pray that when we get to heaven, our old pets will be there too. God is good, so I wouldn’t be a bit surprised! Blessings, Gerry

Judge Bartley said...

Good Norman.