Saturday, May 17, 2014

Musings From A Cape Cod Cogitator...is that a redundant heading?

There is only one comment...but feel free to add more.
Cape Cod Today
Seasons End to Clamming; Sweet Potato Fluff
from Cape Cod Rock Hopper Blog
I am beginning to dread the end of May here in my area of the Cape known as Dennis. Why? Well by the end of this month our clamming season will come to a complete standstill. Yes I understand the reasons, I know all the conservation issues and the ability to reload for the next season. I get needing to allow the beds to recoup and all that stuff and I also know that I could (and I do) get a license in another town, but I have found over the past couple of years I don't go to other towns. I like my town, I know my spots, I am even getting to know several of the other clammers that come on a regular basis. Soft shell (steamers) are already done, boo hoo, I did pretty well this year, after my shellfish constable took the time at the end of last year to show me what I really needed to be looking for, Thank you Chris. But at least I will still have my mussels I can pick for, and if I get lucky I might find a few razor clams and or sea clams to keep me tied over although I am limited to what I can take and when and those are fewer and farther between in finding. But we will give those a try this year and when I do I will give a report on them.
This year I am totally set on getting out for some fishing, last year I bought my license for both salt and fresh water, them ended up not getting a chance to go out. Ok so it does not help that I do not have a boat, motor or otherwise. That would be of great help especially for trying to go for Blue Fish and Striper, although I have heard that Stripers can be gotten from the shore line or in the canal but that is a haul and a half for me and working 6 days a week, one just runs out of time to do everything. But I would like to go try, even go back out for Flounder like Guy Askers used to take us for off Chatham. I love Flounder, baked, broiled, sauteed, poached, grilled, ok what way don't I like it, LOL. So that will be my goal for this summer season is to get my poles out of the garage, maybe get another 1 or 2 heavier duty ones and get them wet and maybe even hook a few that I can do some fun cooking with as well as put up for later on. Here's to all you guys out there that do it regularly and do it well, enjoy and eat heartily.
Now time for small business updates, this week I have 3 I want to mention, first) Sundae School Ice Cream Parlor, especially the original on Lower County Road in DennisPort. This is one of my top 3 ice cream spots on the Cape. Don't ask me to list in order cause I can not, all are equal. But Sundae Schools I have been able to enjoy their offerings since their beginning in 1976, my family was spending our August days along Old Wharf Road in Camper's Haven. From the mouth of the owner himself, starting next week they will be ready to go 7 days a week, but don't pass up this weekend if you are here, they are open and dishing it up. Second) are my friends of the Spice Merchant in Mashpee Commons. May 24 - 26 the Commons will be doing their annual Memorial Day Sidewalk Sale and the Spice Merchant definitely will be on display. I can not speak enough for the use of fine fresh spices and herbs in your cooking. You can buy as little as you need or as much as you want, you name it she has it. And let's not forget her selection of loose teas, it is getting to be ice tea season and what better way than to spice up (pun here) or fruit-en up your favorite summer tea brew with teas that have a different twist to them, or how about a nice relaxing tea for those cool New England evenings to site out on the deck on beach and enjoy some hot tea while gazing at the stars, yum. She also has flavored sugars to go along with your teas to add that extra sweetness if that is your enjoyment. Ask about some of her popcorn topping blends, low calorie snack that packs a wicked punch of flavor, now we're talking. Check them out, I promise you, you won't go wrong with the Spice Merchant in Mashpee Commons. Third and final biz for this week) Glass Studio of Cape Cod on 6A in East Sandwich. I should have added this last week, but I think this does work. After a morning at Mashpee commons, you hope on 130 or 149 and buzz over to the North side and do East Sandwich, a nice way to spend your afternoon, or vis versa. Anyway the Glass Studio is presently open Thursday through Saturday and expand to Wednesday through Saturday from Memorial Day to July 4h. After July 4th they are open 7 days a week till Labor Day weekend. You can either check their web sight for directions or call for any time changes. These folks are wonderful and is a place the whole family can enjoy going down to the Studio and watch them blow glass. They explain the process of what they are making that day and love answering questions about what they are doing. Can not recommend these folk enough and on top of it all, it's free. Have a great time then go upstair and get something to take home with you from their shop.
Ok I think I have covered my bases for today, hope you all have a great upcoming warmer weather and time with family and friends. I will check on ye ole lighthouse, make sure the tanks are filled with oil, the wicked has been trimmed and the lens polished till spotless. Keep an eye out for the beacon and follow it all the way across the ditch, to your small haven on our peninsula of sand. Be safe and enjoy every moment you can of every day, especially if you can do it right here on old Cape Cod. Until we meet again.
This weeks recipe is back to the Carolina Baptist recipe collection. I love good old recipes that stand the test of time, few ingredients, and is easy to make. Seriously, if you are a fan of sweet potatoes you have got to try this, and for the calorie watchers this one is good as it is not laded with a ton of butter or sugar. So whip this one up for an enjoyable light side dish. Yum, this is making me hungry just talking about it, hope you enjoy it. Now on with the show,
This week's recipe: Sweet Potato Fluff
  • 2 tsp melted butter or margarine
  • 1/4 cup milk
  • 1 egg
  • 2 cups mashed cooked or canned sweet potatoes (bake and smash, much better taste then canned)
  • salt and pepper
Combine butter, milk and sweet potatoes. Beat egg then add to sweet potatoes. Beat until light and fluffy. Season with salt and pepper. Pile lightly by large spoonfuls on greased baking sheet. Bake in 375 degree oven until brown. Serve while hot.
_________________________________ 
The only Comment (at least it was the only one after 24 hours):
Well if I lived here the year around I'd take up your pastime...not so much the clamming, but the fishing and stuff. The last time I fished anywhere on the Cape was when you didn't need a license...I always thought that putting a fee to catch a few fish was the gravest of all mortal sins committed by politicians (by the way, what do they do with the revenue...I know they don't re-stock the ocean). Meanwhile, I've just returned from our other place down south just in time to repeat the second spring (ya see, I've already seen the flowers bloom and now I get to see them again). The back and forth trips from snow to grass has become a ritual but not always with the same timing...we often have to look for a weather break like we had to do this past winter (we got snowed in for a day or two before we made our great escape).
Now I was raised in Massachusetts where I learned the yankee language but I think the state wants to remind folks like me that its the 'only' language. Spending too much time in the land down yonder where one or more persons can be beckoned by, "Ya,all." can rub off the 'havad yad' ... So I was amused by the recent (I guess they're recent, they were not there when I departed) posting along the Mid-Cape hiway of that reminder from the state, "Use yah blinkah". Well that was enough to start using my native tongue once again.
So you ended your blog with a recipe and so will I...not the actual recipe, just a war story. A couple of years back we (my wife and I) stumbled upon the best bread pudding on the Cape...the closest I'll tell you of its location is that it is in Orleans. We formed our opinion after trying the tasty dessert at various locations on the Cape. But that's not the end of the story. Ya see, I began to experiment with the recipe after we found out (from the place in Orleans) what one of the taste enhancing ingredients was. With that said and many trials with no errors, I now make the best bread pudding on the Cape (verification of that statement can come from my ninety-three year old in-laws.) ~ Norm

No comments: