Thursday, May 17, 2012

America's First Gay President...pretty convincing evidence!

"I have gone a wooing to several gentlemen, but have not succeeded with any of them.  I feel that it is not good for man to be alone; and should not be astonished to find myself married to some old maid who can nurse me when I'm sick, provide good dinners for me when I'm well, and not expect from me any ardent or romantic affection." ~ James Buchanan 15th President of the United States
The above quote was taken from the book, Presidents' Most Wanted by Nick Ragone.  The book, obviously not a best seller, was published in 2008 and found it's way into the dollar stores for lack of sales anywhere else.  Yes, I picked it up for a dollar a few weeks ago thinking perhaps I could find something of historical significance for an insignificant investment.
The author was not one I had any familiarity with but upon reading through his tiny tome I was amused at some of his historical inaccuracies and ill perceived opinions.  For example, some presidents categorized as 'good' where actually the worst (and this is just not an opposing opinion for some of his good guys actually conspired to destroy the country). In any event you'll find Buchanan's claim to fame in Ragone's chapter about President's Mistresses where he describes the females who dallied with the married guy in the White House (C'mon now, you haven't forgot Monica Lewinsky and Bill Clinton have you?).  And for some reason Ragone has conveniently left some mistresses out and/or he had not done his research...he cites Marilyn Monroe and John F. Kennedy but omits Kennedy's teenage lover, Mimi Alford
Ragone also mentions, "There is no denying, however, that for sixteen years Buchanan lived with Senator William Rufus King. ...Buchanan took to calling King, "Aunt Nancy" a commonly used eighteenth-century expression to describe homosexuals.  "I am now solitary and alone, having no companion in the house with me." wrote  Buchanan while King served as minster to France.  ~ Norman E. Hooben
Rufus William King


1 comment:

Findalis said...

It is not whether you gave Obama a BJ, but whether he gave you one and if you have film to prove it.

James Buchanan has been known as being a gay man. At least he didn't have a Monica moment.