Monday, September 27, 2010

Escape From The Khmer Rouge

There's no real connection to this story, just a story that brought back some memories... During 1970 and 1971 I was in Saigon (now Ho Chi-Minh City) and did meet a few Cambodians. But it was not until years later that I met San Kim, a Cambodian that escaped the Khmer-Rouge the hard way. San Kim was shot and supposedly killed by the Khmer-Rouge but was found a day later still alive among the other dead bodies by friends who nursed him back to health. I worked with San Kim...actually I was his boss...where I got to know him and his family in great detail. There is much more to his story than I can allow here but suffice it to say I consider him one of the unsung heroes that came out of that unfortunate crisis in Southeast Asia not that many years ago (you can say, "many years ago" after we are both gone.) ~ Norman E. Hooben

The following video from: Culture Unplugged

No comments: