Saturday, December 16, 2017

Wreaths Across America...Cape Cod Massachusetts

Each December on National Wreaths Across America Day, our mission to Remember, Honor and Teach is carried out by coordinating wreath-laying ceremonies at Arlington National Cemetery, as well as over 1,200 additional locations in all 50 U.S. states, at sea, and abroad. ~ Wreaths Across America
Although it's only my second year of participation, I can honestly say it has become an annual event to lay a wreath on the gravesite of someone unknown to me...unknown by name maybe, but I know who they are.  I know these people like I've known them all my life for they are patriots that wore the uniform of their country in time of need...whether that need was peacetime or conflict, serving is an honor that cannot be explained in ordinary words but over 200 years ago someone came up with a summary of all the extraordinary words we can muster.  Esprit de corps...it covers camaraderie, fellowship, devotion, honor, friendship, morale, and a host of others.  Yes, I understand the meaning of esprit de corps because I too wore the uniform for twenty-one years and that alone makes me a member of the thousands who have gone before me...some who have gave their all in battle and others who as General MacArthur once said, "Old soldiers never die, they just fade away."
And one more thing before I display the pictures of today's events.  Today was special because everyone in attendance were patriots whether they wore the uniform or not.  Some were wives, uncles, brothers, sisters, mothers, fathers, cousins, and just plain old friends.  No one expressed their differences or politics we were all one...we were all Americans today.
And that's the way it should be today and every day.  Oh, and it was a bit cold but heck, that was nothing!  ~ Norman E. Hooben 
 
 

 
 

 

 
 
 

No comments: