Monday, July 6, 2009

We need more black people with guns. We need more women with guns. We need more good "people" with guns.

Source: Second Amendment March

June 29, 2009

New Brother from a Different Mother
by Skip Coryell

A few days ago I did a radio interview with a man named Kenn Blanchard from Washington DC. He owns and operates a website called www.blackmanwithagun.com. To tell you the unvarnished truth, I was a little bit apprehensive at first because I just didn't know what to expect from him. I think when I'm painfully honest about it, then I have to admit I have a negative stereotype of black people with guns who live in big cities.

Kenn emailed me and wanted to discuss the Second Amendment March, and we did talk about that for quite a bit while on the air. But I think it's the things that didn't get aired that made the biggest impact on me. Truth is, I don't have a lot of contact with black people in my life. No real reason for that other than they just don't tend to live out here in the boondocks. Sometimes I wonder why that is. Kenn and I talked about a lot of things we had in common: guns, concealed carry, the Marine Corps, family and our faith. Then the topic turned to black people and political correctness. I'll paraphrase the conversation for you as best I can.

Skip: I know I'm not supposed to call you a black person, Kenn, but saying African-American just takes too long and the truth is you're not African-American, you're a regular American just like I am. You and I are the same for the most part.

Kenn: (Laughter) Yeah, it's a load of crap isn't it. I liked it in the Marine Corps when everyone was the same color - "green"!

Skip: Yeah, tell me about it. I mean I don't know what to call you, Kenn. Can't I just call you a fellow Marine, or an American Patriot, or my Christian brother?"

Kenn: (More laughter) Skip, I'll just call you my brother from a different mother.

That's when I started laughing, all the while knowing that I'd made a potential lifelong friend. Sure, I understand that there are some cultural differences between blacks and whites as well as a long and bitter history of racial tension, but they all seem to fade away when we meet on the range or when we start talking about guns and the Second Amendment. I've never believed that a person's skin color really means all that much. I just think it's a statement about God: He loves wondrous variety!

Just yesterday I spoke at a Second Amendment Town Hall meeting in Traverse City hosted by Michigan Open Carry, and one of the topics in my speech was the danger of political correctness. I said:

"One of the travesties about political correctness is that it makes gun owners afraid to speak out. Someone hidden in the shadows has made up a list of approved terminology and if we use the wrong term we are labeled as racists, homophobes or gun-toting lunatics! One of the problems with ordinary gun-owning citizens is that they are good people. And good people care what others think about them. They want to be viewed as good people because their reputations are important to them. But political correctness has cowed us into silence, rendering us impotent in the fight to defend the right to keep and bear arms. Folks, it's time to stop caring what other people think about you. It's time to stand up and tell people what you believe in. It's time to be bold, loud and proud! Stop fearing what other people think, because fear is the weakest part of a person's character, and shouldn't keep you from speaking out for the Second Amendment. Everywhere you go, proudly and politely say Yes, I own a gun. I protect my family and I'm proud for the honor."

Conversely, the strongest part of a person's character is courage, and Kenn Blanchard is a very brave man. He put his reputation on the line by standing up in a hostile environment and proudly proclaiming, "I am a black man with a gun." He is the original "pariah patriot of color".

We need more black people with guns. We need more women with guns. We need more good "people" with guns. The details of a person's skin or gender or religion have no bearing on a person's right to keep and bear arms. We are all equal under heaven.

Since the radio interview, I went onto Kenn's website to learn more about him. He's quite an accomplished person: Marine Corps veteran, former federal law enforcement, published author, ordained minister and devout family man. Kenn Blanchard is "good people". I plan on keeping in touch with Kenn, not because he's a black man with a gun, but because he's honest and genuine and because I like him.

Just yesterday I received a copy of Kenn's book in the mail. Appropriately enough it's titled Black Man with a Gun. I opened the cover and read the following inscription:

"To Skip, from his brother from a different mother.

From Kenneth V.F. Blanchard, 2009"

Yes, I have a new friend in Washington DC, and I can't wait to shoot with him on the range. Better yet, I can't wait to march with this "Black Man with a Gun" on April 19th beneath the shadow of the Washington Monument at the Second Amendment March. Because, after all, it doesn't matter what color he is; it only matters that he's my new brother from a different mother!

You can listen to the podcast of Kenn's interview with Skip Coryell by going to www.blackmanwithagun.com and clicking on episode #120, or listen to the 13 minute interview-only segment here. Kenn Blanchard hosts his weekly radio show "The Urban Shooter" from his website.

No comments: