Tuesday, July 8, 2008

From MY In-Box (cut and pasted from an e-mail)

A hat-tip to Rick and Barbara...

Letter written by a Blue Star mom...

This is not directed at any one person. It's just my thoughts of what I see wrong with our country! Before I even start to write anything, please know I am NOTanother Cindy Sheehan. I am a military mom who supports my son, our troops,and my president. I love my country! I'm a proud American!


I'm angry at you, the American citizen. Those who choose to turn your head and do nothing. Those who say, "I support our Troops, but not this War!" Please tell me how that is possible when the troops are the ones fighting this war? And by the way, how do you actually support our troops? Just saying the words do not count.


I'm angry at our government for not having proper mental health care programs in place to help our returning troops who are dealing with tremendous issues. It breaks my heart that young men and women are coming home and they feel like no one cares. I just received word that a young Louisiana man tried to commit suicide. He had asked for help, but received none. He felt no one cared. This should not be happening. This is America for God Sake! We save the whales, the birds, hell everything, but we can't save or help those who fight for our freedom?

I'm angry that people are allowed to protest at soldier’s funerals and their families are subjected to such hatred after they gave everything for this country. I don't care if it's their first amendment. It is not right and WE should not let it happen.

I'm angry that a young husband/father goes off to war and it putshis family in poverty. This doesn't make you angry, but our statelegislation giving themselves a raise does? A lot of our militaryfamilies are on public assistance. Yet, we'll pay athletes millionsof dollars to play sports. What's wrong with this picture? Ourmilitary should be one of the highest paid professions ever.

I'm angry that we host a luncheon once a year for parents who havelost their children and only 1% of our elected officials donate tohelp cover the cost. The percentage is even less for big businessesin our area.I'm angry that I sent out a request to numerous businesses and dayspas in Baton Rouge and asked them to help me host a "wives day out"for 10...yes 10 wives. You're probably asking what makes these wivesso special. Well, most of them have watched their husband go off towar, not once, twice, but three times. Don't you think they deserveto be treated to one special day of pampering? Not one spa respondedand only one restaurant responded saying they don't serve lunch atthe time requested. How about doing something special for someonewho has given up so much so you can do business freely in thiscountry?

I'm angry when a soldier is killed and the streets are not linedwith people showing the family they mourn with them for their loss.I'm angry because there is such a thing as a "homeless veteran" inour country. How can we allow this when these people volunteered toprotect our rights and freedoms? We help every other country andgive illegal immigrants more assistance than people who fought forus. This simply is not right.

I'm angry that the media doesn't report the whole story. And that theyare so bias, they can't report the good things our troops aredoing in Iraq and Afghanistan. How about telling both sides of the story?Maybe more people would support our troops then.I'm angry that a young military widow moved her children fromWashington state to Arizona after her husband's death and she is notallowed to receive state benefits because they were not residents ofthat state prior to his death. She's not asking for much...educationbenefits so she can continue her education and give her two childrena better life and a license plate. Is that asking for too much?After all, her husband didn't die for just Louisiana, Washington, orArizona. He died for the United States of America and she should beallowed to move anywhere she pleases and be treated fairly andreceive whatever benefits are available.

I'm angry that I am a military mom and I feel this way and I haveto write these things about my fellow American citizens. Wake upAmerica! Show your support. Hang your America flags outside yourhomes, adopt a soldier from www.anysoldier. com who doesn't receivecare packages from home, let a military family know you supportthem. Tie a yellow ribbon around your tree or mailbox. Thank aveteran! Do something nice for the young wife and her children left behind.If you don't have a someone serving in the military, you can'teven begin to imagine what's it's like. Every minute of every day isspent worrying about them and their safety. You wonder if every carturning in your driveway is coming to tell you the unthinkable. You wonder if the phone call from an unrecognizable number is calling to tell you your child has been hurt. You wake up at night, that's if you can sleep, and start to pray just because. You check your emailat all times of the day and night hoping for a quick note from yourchild and just for that minute you know they are okay. The American Flag, National Anthem, and TAPS take on a whole newmeaning once your child has served in the military...especially during a war. You now know what it means to truly give all for your country.


I'm not saying no one supports our troops. There are a small percentage of people who truly care and to those I say THANK YOU. Iam so grateful for your support and I truly appreciate everything you have done in supporting our troops and our families. You all know who you are and you know in your heart if you have done all you can to support our military.

I'm embarrassed that our country treated our Vietnam Veterans sobadly. I wish I could take away their pain. I believe if we are not careful we will have another generation of veterans who are treated the same way. We cannot let this happen again. Please, please showyour support, please do more to show you care. Please reach out toour troops and get behind them. I realize money is tight for everyone, but that's not all that is needed. Flying your flag outside your home cost nothing. Putting a sign of support in yourwindow cost nothing. Attending public events honoring our veterans cost nothing. Remembering our troops in your prayers cost nothing, but means so much!

Thank you for taking the time to read this and please pass along to others who might need a reminder that we are at war and young men and women are dying everyday.
May God Bless our Troops and May He Bless America!

Janet Broussard Proud Military Mom

No comments: