Thursday, June 12, 2008

Message from the home town...Taunton, Massachusetts

I received an e-mail from a friend in my home town with instructions to bring a flag...



Also attached was a message from the mayor...






Folks,

The city is working with the Duffy family as well as Federal, State and Local officials to plan for the wake and funeral of Sgt Shane Duffy, a Tauntonian, who was recently killed in Iraq.
The wake will be on Friday, June 13, 2008 at St Mary's Church beginning at 1:00 pm and the funeral Mass will he held on Saturday, June 14th, 2008 at 11:00 am at St Marys Church on Broadway.
Following the funeral Mass, the body of Sgt Shane Duffy will be placed on a horse drawn caisson and his family and mourners will march in a procession from the church down Broadway and around Taunton Green. The procession will turn right along the south side of Taunton Green and then pass in front of the Post Office and continue down Court Street. The march will continue north on Route 140 (Tremont Street) to Glebe Street where the march will continue up Glebe Street and turn left onto North Walker Street where the burial will take place across from the Bennett School.

I have sent a communication to the school department asking then to notify the school children throughout this city to, with the permission of their family, line the route of the procession and hold an American flag.
I am requesting all citizens to do the same this Saturday. The funeral mass will be over and the procession will begin about 12:30 pm on Saturday. The procession will be slow but I am asking everyone to notify the child's soccer team, baseball team, boys & girls scout troops to join in this effort.

Also, anyone who belongs to any civic group should notify them to join us as well.

We are trying to secure flags to hold however if anyone has a flag-bring it and wave it proudly.

Sgt Shane Duffy is 'our' local hero. Let us show our community, our state and our nation that we know how to provide the kind of patriotic service befitting an American Hero.

Please join us.

Charles Crowley, Mayor






As I am 1,200 miles from the ole homestead
may I be with you in spirit ...
"Sgt Duffy here is my flag."


God Bless
From ye old Master Sergeant
Note: If you want to see the procession (Saturday June 14th) around the Taunton Green (approximately noon EDT) click here http://69.64.96.246/snap.jpg then click your refresh button until you get the correct scene.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you Norman for your kind words about our hometown hero Sergeant Shane Duffy who came home to his eternal rest. I received the email from a friend of mine to come and pay tribute to a fallen soldier by standing along the route with a flag as the horse drawn hearse containing his remains went by my old neighborhood en route to the final resting place. Over 75 motorcyclists were in the procession along with shuttle busses and the cars containing the family and close friends of Shane. I removed my hat as the wagon slowly went by and I felt proud and very thankful for this young man who gave his life for his country to protect us from an enemy who would try to annihilate us in our own country if they could. I wasn't the only one standing near the street. I saw others standing out there also. Just being there was the very least I could do for this young man. I didn't know this young man, but to me he was one of our very own hometown boys who went off to war and fought bravely for my freedom. For his bravery in battle, he deserves all the honor that we can bestow. "Lord, please take this young man into your Heavenly Paradise. I ask this in Jesus name, Amen."